Monday 28 September 2015

How to Stay Active While Studying Abroad

Gelato, pizza, clotted cream, Yorkshire pudding, crepes, pasta…

Is your mouth watering yet?

I LOVE food. I think anyone who knows me can attest to that. I knew that studying abroad in Europe would give me the opportunity to try food from different cultures. I was obviously most excited about the gelato.

While it is necessary to sample goodies everywhere you travel, it is also important that we don’t totally disregard our health in the process. Life is all about balance.

TIPS FOR STAYING ACTIVE

 1.  Go to the Gym 2 or 3 Times a Week
    
At Harlaxton, we get Friday-Sunday without classes to have the opportunity to travel. Although we do a lot of walking while we explore new cities, it is unlikely we will be able to hit the gym on the weekends. I make a goal each week of going to the gym a couple times Monday-Thursday.

2.    Watch Your Portion Sizes
I have learned that sharing meals can be super helpful-especially if you have your eye on a delectable dessert after dinner, or you are trying to save a dollar or two. Dinner portions are usually sufficient for two people; so next time, try sharing with your friend and save room for dessert.

3.   Take Long Walks
Harlaxton is located in the beautiful English Countryside, and is also surrounded by forests with walking and hiking trails. If I’m not feeling the treadmill or lifting weights in the gym, I’ll just take an hour walk outside. Sometimes it’s good to take some time for yourself.

4.  Grab a Partner
There’s something about having accountability in regards to fitness that makes us more likely to follow through. I don’t like to let my friends down, so if I tell them I’ll meet in the gym at 3, I’ll be there! Make your workouts fun together! Put on some Beyoncé and get to it!

5.    Make Cafeteria Food Work for You
Everyone likes different food. Eating in a cafeteria for 3 meals a day can be difficult, but you can make it work. Experiment with the salad bar. If you constantly eat the same meal every day, you will soon get bored and resort to grabbing a piece of bread and butter and settling for that.

Obviously staying in perfect shape isn’t (and shouldn’t be) anyone’s #1 priority when they are studying abroad. You can’t get a do-over on experiences, so take every opportunity and do the best you can. Try all the yummy food you want, just try to balance it with a little bit of exercise!


Written by: Kylee Kaetzel

No comments:

Post a Comment